Monday, April 14, 2008

The Rogers Weekend Review

I love coming across recipes that I have torn out of a magazine or written on a napkin. Usually, that's as far as it goes for me. But last week I came across one for soft and chewy chocolate bites and, well, chocolate...hello?

I had to try them.

They turned out to be kind of fun to make and my youngest was able to help me. He loves to cook. All of my kids do, although I don't really know why, when their meals consist of chicken nuggets and mac & cheese. No really, I try to get a good meal or two in there, but tonight was chicken nuggets and mac & cheese.


This is the part of the recipe that Ben liked the most. I cut about 20 big marshmallows in half and he dipped the sticky side in the colored sugar. They were so pretty.
While he did that, I melted 4oz. of semi-sweet baking squares and 1 1/2 sticks of butter in the microwave. (2 minutes)
Next we added 2 cups of sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla... we stirred
Three eggs came next and he would.not.crack.them. He said, "No way, you do the eggs!"
After we mixed those in, we added 2 cups of flour. This is where it all went south.


The batter seemed too thin for cookies. You are supposed to refrigerate it for 15 minutes and then roll them into 1 inch ball, but there was no rolling this stuff. I added 1/3 cup more flour and PRESTO!... Aren't they pretty?
You bake them for 8-9 minutes on 350.( Don't grease the cookie sheet) The recipe makes about 40ish, unless this happens...
In which case you'll have around 12 less! :)
We also got the kids' pottery back that they made over Spring Break. This is what they started as,
And here's the finished products. We had so much fun doing this. It was something totally different, something we had never done before.



Here's a candid shot of the kids. Ben was being a total dork! He's a goofball.
And bringing up the rear is the picture that told me one thing... I'm starting to look my age. sigh.



3 comments:

Shelley said...

WHAT! You look beautiful! I love the pottery, so much fun!

Alana said...

I'm with Shelley. You look beautiful!

Looks like you guys had a great weekend. What is not to love about baking with chocolate?

Anonymous said...

Hey I am so for quick and easy dinner. Lately it has been what we call grab and growl. Or just get whatever suits you. I have a 13, 11, and 9 year old so I can do that. I always feel bad though cuz, I feel bad for the kids, my mom always had DINNER for us each night, even most weekends. Not me I am just whatever. A "cooked" real meal is a treat especaillly during sports or the busy seasons for after chool activities.
Dee